August 16, elections for local Majlis held in Kherson region
Elections see 59% turnout
Head of the Kurultai Chief Election Commission Zair Smedliaev noted that the voter turnout on August 16 was even higher than in previous times, before the occupation of Crimea – 59%, Krymr.
“The people come to the polling, and it pleases us, because the work is properly organized, and the Crimean Tatar population understands the importance of this day. Voters are the Kherson residents, but the turnout of people, who were forced to have to move from Crimea [to the mainland Ukraine], is also high,” stated on his Facebook page Alim Suleymanov, member of a local charitable organization "Tatar Cultural Centre”.
Election of members of the local Majlis were held in the Kherson region for the first time. Eight candidates were competing for five seats in Majlis, who are later to vote for the Head of Kherson Majlis. Five out of eight candidates were women.
Kherson region is home for 10 thousand Crimean Tatars. Kherson city refers to those few places of compact residence of the Crimean Tatars. The vast majority of them is concentrated in Henichesk district, which also held local elections Majilis.
Smedlyayev: Russian federal security service arrests more Crimean Tatars 12 October, 16:03
U.S. doesn’t recognize Russia’s ban of Mejlis of Crimean Tatars 1 October, 11:00
Ukraine demands that Russia stops prosecutions of Crimean Tatars 12 October, 14:28
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:30Ukrainian Defense Ministry reveals details of Makiivka night attack
- FINANCE14:13French company to store gas in Ukraine’s underground storages
- SPORT13:32Boxing: Usyk’s next fight set out for December 17
- POLITICS12:48Stoltenberg: NATO seeks no confrontation with Russia
- POLITICS12:01UN condemns attacks on schools in Haas village, Syria
- SOCIETY11:14Ukraine marks anniversary of 1944 release from the Nazis
- RUSSIA10:33Putin: Russia may resume gas supplies to Ukraine any moment
- POLITICS10:02UN starts discussion on complete ban of nuclear weapons
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case