AI: Sentsov and Kolchenko case should be passed to ECHR
The prisoners were subjected to torture by Russian law enforcement forces in order to get testimony
Lawyers of Amnesty International (AI) in Ukraine states that the case might be passed to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR). They apply to the third article of European Convention on Human Rights, which says that no one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
“So, definitely, this case has a real perspective to be heard in the European Court, another thing is that you need to get to the level of ECHR first. In order to submit an application to the European Court, all the national institutions should be passed,” said Bohdan Ovcharuk, one of the AI lawyers.
The lawyers of Sentsov and Kolchenko may also require the extradition to Ukraine.
Ukrainian filmmaker Oleh Sentsov was sentenced to 20 years in a high-security penal colony, and Ukrainian left-wing activist Olexander Kolchenko was penalized with 10 years in high-security penal colony. The sentence was pronounced few hours ago by North Caucasus District Military Court in Rostov-on-Don, Russia.
The solidarity actions took place in Kyiv, Paris, Stockholm, and Warsaw.
Amnesty International posts new report 4 October, 13:42
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain