80 percent of deaths of civilians in Donbas caused by explosive devices in recent months
The UNMAS mission to work in Ukraine until February 5
UN insists it is necessary to raise awareness of civilians in Donbas regarding mine threat and mince clearance activity. That would minimize the amount of victims among civilians who reside near the division line in eastern Ukraine, said Neil Walker, UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative in Ukraine.
By the estimates of the UN, for the last several months, about 80 percent of civilians’ deaths in Donbas were caused by explosive devices. In order to improve the situation, the UN Mine Action Service arrived to eastern Ukraine to help clear mines in war-torn areas. The mission will work until February 5.
Previously, January 23, the UN assessment mission came to Ukraine. The mission held meetings with central executive authorities in Kyiv, and currently visits Donbas to assess local needs, in particular the issue of humanitarian mine assistance.
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
- FINANCE11:41Ukrzaliznytsia company evades taxes at sum of USD 50 million
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars