71st UN General Assembly kicks off today
Obama and Poroshenko are to meet on margins of UN General Assembly
The 71st UN General Assembly opens on Tuesday in New York. Permanent Representative of Fiji Peter Thomson was chosen as the Chairman of the session.
170 questions on a range of issues will be submitted to the UN General Assembly during the year.
The agenda includes African countries’ development, the coordination of efforts to provide humanitarian aid, promote justice and development of international law.
The situation in the Middle East, Palestine, Afghanistan, the Cyprus, the Democratic Republic of Congo and several others will also be discussed at the General Assembly.
The UN Assembly will also keep working on drug control issues, the fight against international terrorism, the financing of peacekeeping operations. The disarmament issue is one of the most extensive blocks on the agenda.
The session will focus on issues of human rights, the elimination of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and intolerance.
Ukraine’s Foreign Minister also said that President Petro Poroshenko and the US President Barack Obama are going to meet on the margins of the UN General Assembly.
Recall that earlier President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin didn't plan to take part in United Nations General Assembly in 2016.
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars