29 Ukrainian cities elect mayors in the second round
Experts predict a high probability of conflicts during the voting in 14 cities
Today, on 15 November 2015 from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Ukrainians will elect mayors in 29 cities, reports the Civil Network “OPORA”, a non-governmental, non-political and financially independent nationwide network of public activists.
There is a high probability of conflicts during the voting and vote count process as well as use-of-force confrontations and appeals against election results in 14 of 29 cities. According to the experts of “OPORA”, these cities are: Dnipropetrovsk, Pavlohrad, Kryvyi Rih, Dniprodzerzhynsk, Nikopol, Zaporizhzhia, Berdiansk, Melitopol, Kramatorsk, Mykolaiv, Cherkasy, Chernihiv, Zhytomyr, Uzhhorod.
Election will be held in 29 Ukrainian cities having over 90 thousand voters. "It should be mentioned that according to the new Law on Local Elections, the second round of mayoral election is to be held in cities having over 90 thousand voters, where none of the candidates took 50% +1 vote in the first round on 25 October. Only 5 of 35 cities having 90 thousand voters or more have managed to elect mayors in the first round: Sloviansk, Lysychansk, Odesa, Ternopil and Kharkiv," write the activists of "OPORA".
2,741 candidates have already participated in the first round of city mayor election on 25 October in 358 cities of Ukraine. The second round of mayoral elections is held in 29 cities with 58 candidates participating.
Nearly 1,5 million Ukrainian internally displaced persons will not be able to vote in local elections in their new territorial communities.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas