14 mln Ukrainians to face difficulties with voting at local elections
They do not reside at the place of official registration, which is an obligatory for voting
In addition to 1.4 million IDPs, about 13 mln citizens of Ukraine will face difficulties with voting in local elections, as states press office of the independent NGO Committee of Voters of Ukraine (CVU).
It is noted that there are certain causes of these citizens are not residing at the place of official registration.
The right to vote in local elections in Ukraine belongs to persons who are members of the local community. The sign of this membership in a particular community is registered place of residence. However, in Ukraine there are many people who are registered in one place, but actually live in another one. Particularly, it frequently concerns about 15 mln people. They cannot elect local authorities in the community where they actually live, as they have no membership here.
“In addition, these individuals are unlikely to be interested in electing local authorities at the place of their registration; possibly, they will not vote in local elections at all,” according to the statement.
Regularly scheduled local elections will take place in Ukraine on October 25, 2015; conducted a little over a year since the 2014 snap local elections, which were only held throughout parts of the country.
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:16Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain