Safety comes first: problems of Ukrainian airports
Secure conditions must be created in the sky (the responsibility of the crew and dispatchers) and on the ground as well (airport security responsibilities)
In recent years, Europe has seen a series of terrorist attacks at its airports. Belgium and Turkey became the objects of terrorist attacks. Hundreds of people died. Apart from the words of sorrow and support, more attention should be paid to the safety at the airports.
Secure conditions must be created in the sky (the responsibility of the crew and dispatchers) and on the ground as well (airport security responsibilities). Since Russia has demonstrated its armed aggression, Ukraine receives a double challenge to the security question. If terrorist attacks in Europe have a distinct political nature (some terrorist organization takes responsibility), in Ukraine it might happen "secretly, suddenly, and with no details."
Ukraine’s airports have at least three main safety problems:
1. Absence of perimeter fence. Yes, few regional airports have something that does not even look like a fence. According to ICAO standards, international airports are required to have a transparent fence (a special metal mesh) equipped with protection complex: barbed wire, anti-digging system, video surveillance system, and perimeter alarm. Unfortunately, only those Ukrainian airports that were designed to host Euro-2012 partly meet these requirements. The majority of municipal airports are not equipped properly.By the way, the management of municipal airports understands the importance of safety. Together with the State Aviation Service, they are elaborating a complex design of the security system. However, they do not have enough funds to buy the needed equipment.
2. Airfield pavement. This is a sore point for almost 70% of Ukrainian airports. The pavement of the majority of Ukraine’s airports is in a terrible condition. Serrated pavement, as well as metal constructions of concrete slabs can cause an accident at any time.
Odesa International Airport
The project of reconstruction of "Kherson" airport goes to the finish line; it is a part of the regional program of development of the Kherson region. As for today, apron and taxiway are already reconstructed, and now the runway needs to be renovated. There is no doubt that the Government would continue to allocate funds to one of the most promising regional airports in Ukraine.
The local authority of Chernivtsi city has received funds for the further repair of the airport, construction of parking areas, and equipment for the aircraft maintenance. These measures will allow Chernivtsi airfield to increase the capacity of the reception sides in 2017.
3. The military protection. This idea might seem not very topical, and its realization would need allocating additional costs. But when dozens of terrorist attacks at airports take place annually, the presence of the military protection is really necessary. Public airports can hire the military who have served in ATO and know how to act in case of a planned attack.
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
- POLITICS22:04False start of Ukraine’s law enforcement reform
- UA & EU21:40Another Ukrainian scandal in Netherlands: Blackmail which didn't happen
- RUSSIA20:00Hybrid Cold War
- POLITICS14:23Ukraine and US debates: pictures of Aleppo victims are more expressive than our efforts
- POLITICS10:39Pro-Russian Mufti-squealer in occupied Crimea
- RUSSIA18:38The origins of Putinism: How Russia came to the cult of Vladimir Putin
- POLITICS17:59What to expect from Normandy Quartet meeting?
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:11Ukraine’s Army: between the past and the future
- SOCIETY23:27Ukraine's image in terms of hybrid war
- UA & EU22:44Сorpse of "Minsk": How to sell it to Western partners?
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case