Foreign soldiers are unlikely to fight for $300 per month
The former ATO Staff press officer criticized the idea of hiring foreign contractors
If foreigners are included into ranks of the armed forces in eastern Ukraine, various forms of payments to combatants, disabled, families of dead servicemen will be reduced.
Oleksiy Dmytrashkivskiy, ex-Speaker of the ATO Staff, commented to 112.ua on purposefulness of adopting the law on legalization of foreigners participating in the conflict zone.
"I still would like to return to the point that if we do not want to maintain our own army, we should hold a hired one instead. As far I see, that is the exact option to be implemented. In any case it won’t allow to cut down the military spending. The employee will dictate its own conditions. It is about an insurance, especially as he is a foreign citizen, and payment.
Unlikely a single foreign soldier would agree to fight for less than $300 [₴ 6,000]. I think it's ridiculous to offer a person less than $1,000 per month. I do not believe in it. Such approach in a situation in which we are, it is not an option.
If it was a normal salary, normal attitude to the people, normal provision provided not by volunteers, but namely by the Ministry of Defense ...Believe me, we themselves do not lack the willing to defend their homeland.
I had not communicated directly with foreign citizens in the ATO area, but I saw and knew that there were Georgians, Chechens, I happened to meet them. I also knew that there was a representative of Russia, who was fighting on our side. As for the other side, I personally have seen Israelis, Russians, representatives of other nationalities.
Once I had announced to the mass media that an Italian joined in one of volunteer battalions. After my statement, I was reprimanded, as I had no right to unveil such information. The Staff officers explained that volunteer battalions might recruit someone who wants and can join the fight, but we must not make such cases loud. And afterwards, I have never mentioned that there are foreigners within the armed forces."
OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas 21 October, 20:31
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day 23 October, 22:03
Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported 22 October, 22:01
- RUSSIA20:00Hybrid Cold War
- POLITICS14:23Ukraine and US debates: pictures of Aleppo victims are more expressive than our efforts
- POLITICS10:39Pro-Russian Mufti-squealer in occupied Crimea
- RUSSIA18:38The origins of Putinism: How Russia came to the cult of Vladimir Putin
- POLITICS17:59What to expect from Normandy Quartet meeting?
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:11Ukraine’s Army: between the past and the future
- SOCIETY23:27Ukraine's image in terms of hybrid war
- UA & EU22:44Сorpse of "Minsk": How to sell it to Western partners?
- SOCIETY11:40What's common between Savchenko's law, economic decline, and Donbas war
- UA & EU22:30Behind curtain of PACE: What conclusions should be made after end of Assembly session
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain