Google creates doodle on Karl Landsteiner’s 148th birthday
World Blood Donor Day celebrated on June 14
Google made an animated doodle honoring the 148th birthday of the Austrian and American biologist and physician Karl Landsteiner.
In 1901, Landsteiner discovered the existence of blood types A, B, AB and O, and that people of the same or compatible types can receive transfusions from one another. The first successful blood transfusion occurred in 1907 as a direct result of his work, which led to advances in medicine, therapies, and surgery.
Landsteiner is also credited with laying the groundwork, together with fellow scientist Erwin Popper that led to the discovery of the polio virus. This was the first step towards developing a treatment for the disease which affected millions of children worldwide.
World Blood Donor Day celebrated annually on June 14. The theme of the Donor Day this year is "Blood connects us all". It focuses on thanking blood donors.
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
- POLITICS16:26Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas