World's longest train tunnel opens in Switzerland
Gotthard Base Tunnel 57.1 km long goes through the Swiss Alps
Gotthard Base Tunnel, the longest train tunnel in the world opens on June 1 in Switzerland, Reuters reports.
Technological wonder 57.1 km long will be able to shorten the way from Germany to Italy through Switzerland for one hour. The construction has lasted about 17 years, and cost more than €12 billion.
The Swiss president Johann Niklaus Schneider-Ammann, the French president François Hollande, the German chancellor Angela Merkel and the Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi will be present at the opening ceremony of the tunnel.
The official opening will take place on December 11, 2016.
After finishing the tests by the end of the year, 260 cargo trains and 65 passenger trains will go through it every day. 210 thousand trucks will use it till 2020.
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars