Naftogaz Ukraine: Russia tries to hurt Ukraine’s economy by building Nord Stream II
The company’s director for business development says Russia can’t let Ukraine compete with it at energy carriers’ market
By constructing Nord Stream II pipeline, Russia tries to worsen gas prices and strip Ukraine of in-transit incomes. Yuriy Vitrenko, director for business development at Naftogaz Ukraine, said this in an interview with Interfax Ukraine news agency.
“Russia can’t let Ukraine have competitive advantage in terms of gas price in the EU, so the Russian side is building gas pipeline to Germany. Under these conditions, Ukraine will have to buy gas and pay extra money for transportation of the fuel”, he said.
According to Vitrenko, sooner or later, the European Commission will have to insist that Russia’s Gazprom adheres to European rules of competition. “That, in turn, will result in lower (which means better) prices of Russian gas transited via the Ukrainian territory to EU consumers. Currently, the price is higher, because Russian gas is being sold on the “hub price plus transportation price” basis, which of course is unprofitable for Russia”, Vitrenko said.
“Russia wants to destroy Ukraine’s statehood. That’s why it attacks our cities, sends saboteurs and that’s why it annexed Crimea. It makes everything possible to destroy the state”, the official concluded.
The Nord Stream II is a project of gas transmission pipeline. The construction works are to begin in 2018. The project foresees further broadening and modernization of the Nord Stream pipeline. By promoting the Nord Stream II, Russia aims to refuse from transit of its gas supplies through the Ukrainian territory.
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia 20 October, 16:30
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode
- POLITICS14:47Ukraine summons Syrian diplomat to protest against recognition of Crimea’s occupation
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:01No fatalities among Ukrainian servicemen in Donbas over last 24 hours
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain