Lagarde: No panic in world economy due to Brexit
World’s largest banks have been providing enough liquidity to markets, IMF Managing Director says
‘Financial markets vastly underestimated the outcome of the referendum. There was a violent, brutal, immediate massive move, the pound went down by 10 percent. But there was no panic and the central bankers did the job that they were prepared to do just in case, which was to put a lot of liquidity on the markets,’ Christine Lagard said at a forum organized and held by Aspen Institute in Colorado (Reuters).
Lagarde, however, said that how markets react from here depends on what steps UK and European policymakers take to deal with the separation vote and limit uncertainty.
"At this point in time, policy makers both in the UK and in Europe are holding that level of uncertainty in their hands. How they come out in the next few days is going to really drive the direction in which risk will go," Lagarde said.
She said policymakers and multilateral institutions needed to work cooperatively to deal with the implications of the Brexit vote, and noted that only Britain can trigger the formal divorce proceedings -- European politicians cannot force their hands.
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain