Foreign Policy: ‘Ukraine may become big industrial hub’
In his article for the magazine, infrastructure expert Georgiy Zubko comments on big investment-attractive project in Odesa region, southern Ukraine
‘The M15 highway, consistently ranked by journalists and industry experts as one of Ukraine’s worst, reflects both the difficulties of rebuilding the country’s road network and the potential for change. Odessa Governor Mikheil Saakashvili made fixing the road a priority shortly after he took office last year. The project has been divided into two parts: reconstructing the existing road and, eventually, building a brand new highway, estimated to cost $4.6 billion, that will completely bypass the neighboring ex-Soviet republic of Moldova,’ reads the article by Zubko, who is the sponsor of the reconstruction of M15 highway in Odesa region, southern Ukraine. Zubko was appointed by the Odesa governor Mikheil Saakashvili.
The expert assures that due to the forthcoming introduction of visa-free regime with Ukraine, the new road will get even more attractive for both domestic and foreign investors. ‘A partially reconstructed road might first attract more freight truckers, many of whom currently take a 120-mile detour through Moldova just to stay off the M15. Then, the European Union’s approval of a visa-free regime with Ukraine — later this year, officials hope — could help boost traffic in the region, which in turn would make a brand new toll road more attractive to the government and investors’, he wrote.
According to Ukraine’s infrastructure minister Volodymyr Omelyan, nearly USD 800 million has been assigned for funding of road repair works in 2016.
Turkey proachers’ boat sank during storm in Odesa 13 October, 13:48
Earthquake in Romania: aftershocks reached Ukraine 24 September, 11:30
Ante for Odesa portside plant makes USD 150 million, - State Property Fund 23 September, 11:28
Brawl between pro-Kremlin activists and Right Sector members in Odesa 10 October, 09:15
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars