Washington Post devoted article to killed in ATO Vasyl Slipak
"41-year-old opera singer was killed by a sniper and became yet another victim of this grinding war of attrition"
The well-known American Washington Post newspaper devoted its article to the soloist of Paris Opera, the world famous singer, Ukrainian Vasyl Slipak who was a volunteer soldier in ATO area and was killed near Luganske settlement by a sniper shot.
"Amid the thud of artillery and rattle of gunfire, Vasyl Slipak’s deep, resonant voice in the trenches of eastern Ukraine was a warm reminder of humanity’s less barbaric traits." - the newspaper said.
The author says that "The professional baritone had left his native Ukraine in the 1990s to settle in France, where he regularly sang at the Paris Opera. But after war erupted in 2014, he decided to return home and join a volunteer battalion to fight Russian-backed separatists on the country’s eastern front."
"Here, Slipak adopted Ukraine’s traditional, Mohawk-style haircut as well as the nom de guerre "Meph" — a nod to Mephistopheles’s aria from "Faust," the opera based on Goethe’s great play. He would occasionally serenade his fellow fighters, too." - the article said.
"But at about 6 a.m. Wednesday, his voice was permanently silenced. As a deadly surge in violence left Ukraine’s fragile cease-fire in tatters, the 41-year-old opera singer was killed by a sniper and became yet another victim of this grinding war of attrition on Europe’s far-eastern fringes.", - informs the author.
OSCE cannot confirm ‘Motorola’s death 17 October, 17:49
29 attacks in Donbas region during previous 24 hours, - ATO HQ 18 October, 09:31
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- RUSSIA16:30Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia
- UA & EU15:42Poroshenko, Hungary PM are to enhance political dialogue between states
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels