Ukrainian troops counter-attacked and took new positions on Svitlodarsk bulge, - Turchynov
Militants are shelling Svitlodarsk bulge from mortars fourth day in a row
Ukrainian troops made a counter-attack and took new positions in the ATO area near Svitlodarsk bulge in Donetsk region, which gives them an additional advantage. This was stated by Secretary of the National Council on Security and Defense of Ukraine (NSDC), Oleksandr Turchynov, who arrived in the area, according to the RNBO website.
"Despite the constant attacks and attempts to break through our defense, Ukrainian military courageously and professionally fulfilled their duty, stopped the enemy and inflicted heavy losses," Turchynov said.
Increased fighting takes place on Svitlodarsk bulge during last four days, followed by "record" number of artillery and mortar shelling by militants on the positions of Ukrainian forces.
"According to the number of mortar shells fired at our positions situated in Svitlodarsk bulge area, they set a "record" - more than 800 a day," Secretary of the National Security and Defence Council said.
Being at the forefront of the 54th brigade positions, which has withstood the attack of the enemy, Turchynov visited defensive positions of Ukrainian troops, discussed the military situation in the last few days on this front.
"The Armed Forces of Ukraine will continue to adequately respond to any provocations of hybrid Russian forces in all directions," the secretary of the National Security and Defence Council said.
17 attacks reported in ATO zone, one Ukrainian soldier wounded 16 January, 23:55
Two officers wounded in Donbas, - ATO HQ 18 January, 23:59
Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk 16 January, 15:56
- POLITICS13:36Britain to continue supporting Ukraine
- SOCIETY13:14Security Service detain drug smugglers in Mykolaiv
- POLITICS12:41Trump inauguration: Protesters clash with police in Washington
- SOCIETY12:34Ukrainians commemorate defenders of Donetsk airport
- POLITICS12:16Batkishchyna wants evidence of Savchenko’s treason from SBU
- POLITICS11:56Trump's inauguration: online broadcast
- FINANCE11:30Roshen confectionary factory in Russian Lipetsk shuts down
- UKRAINE TOP 11:19Court to consider Yanukovych conviction in absentia
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:38Security Service finds Russian weapons in ATO zone
- POLITICS10:01Trump’s Treasury pick supports Russia sanctions "100 percent"
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:35, 19 January OSCE Head offers night-time monitoring in Donbas
18:33, 19 January Orthodox and Greek Catholic believers celebrate Epiphany