Ukraine President and French, German Foreign Ministers eye security mission in eastern Ukraine
Poroshenko, Ayrault and Steinmeier coordinate their actions ahead of the “Normandy Four” meeting in Paris
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and French and German Foreign Ministers Jean-Marc Ayrault and Frank-Walter Steinmeier discussed the possibility of deployment of international security mission in war-torn eastern Ukraine as “an important condition for holding local elections in accordance with the Ukrainian legislation and on the basis of OSCE principles”. This was reported by the President’s press service.
The parties discussed the situation in the east of Ukraine and the state of implementation of the Minsk agreements. “President Poroshenko expressed concern over the violations of ceasefire by the Russian-controlled militants as well as their use of prohibited weapons. The participants in the meeting stated the necessity of political will on part of the Russian Federation for ending the use of arms,” the press service said.
The participants agreed to coordinate their actions ahead of the Normandy Four meeting in Paris slated for March 3. Petro Poroshenko noted the importance of preserving the sanctions imposed on Russia to make it adhere to the Minsk agreements.
The Ukrainian President said it was important for OSCE observers to access all parts of the occupied territory , including the Russian-Ukrainian border. He underscored that all the hostages held by the Russian-backed militants must be freed, including those held illegally in Russia.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault took office this month. His visit to Ukraine is his first in this position. “The Ukrainian President congratulated Jean-Marc Ayrault on the appointment as French Foreign Minister and expressed satisfaction with the fact that the minister’s first visit abroad is to Ukraine,” the press service reported.
Steinmeier and Ayrault arrived in Kyiv on a two-day official visit on February 22. Their programme includes meetings with President Poroshenko, Prime Minister Yatsenyuk, Parliament Speaker Volodymyr Groisman and Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin.
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars