Rio 2016: Djokovic loses to Del Potro, leaves Rio
The world’s No.1 in tennis eliminated from 2016 Summer Olympics in Round 1 of the competition, - The Telegraph
Serbia’s Novak Djokovic, one of the world’s strongest tennis players, the current rank leader, surprisingly lost to Juan Martin Del Potro. The dramatic face-off unfolded in Round 1 of the Olympic competition in tennis in Rio, where the Summer Games are underway.
The Telegraph described this as ‘the biggest faller of all’. Indeed it was, especially if one remembers 2012 London Olympics, where Djokovic suffered another bitter defeat in his dash for the Olympic bronze. It was Del Potro who claimed the award, eventually; and now, four years after that, the Serb lost to his principal opponent – and a good friend, outside the tennis court – once again.
‘The world No. 1 managed to fend off heavy pressure during both sets, saving all seven break points that he faced, but he could not prevent Del Potro claiming a pair of tie-breaks for a 7-6, 7-6 victory. Afterwards, both men were in tears as they embraced at the net. Djokovic appeared heartbroken as he left the venue, his overflowing trophy cabinet still missing an Olympic medal of any colour’, reads the article.
Read the full story here.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars