Pyatt: Elections in Donbas region to be held only after complete ceasefire state
US do not urge Ukraine to organize elections on occupied territories as long as attacks continue
According to Unian, US Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt said this in an interview.
"We actively support the efforts of France and Germany for Minsk agreements implementation in Ukraine. Whether Kremlin accepts its basic obligations is still an open question, especially regarding security. We do not see that they are obliged. Carrying out its part of the Minsk agreements is the best that Ukraine can do now, indicating that the State is not the hindrance of their implementation. Nobody in Washington will require holding elections in the occupied territories until Ukrainian soldiers die on the demarcation line. This is a very clear condition: the complete ceasefire state first, and only then the elections", the Ambassador said.
According to him, the fact that the Donbas region is a Ukrainian territory is the main part of the Minsk Agreements.
"Internationally recognized borders of Ukraine must be restored. Russia is a side of the conflict, so it has to remove the military units and arms equipment from Ukraine's territory. Most of diplomats' efforts are focused on implementation of these simple conditions. This is not the case when the sides choose the part of the Agreement that is better for them to implement. Both sides have to oblige to all the conditions, this is the aim of the Minsk Agreements. Russia removes its forces; Ukraine closes the borders and starts the reconstruction of the regions. Just like that", Pyatt stressed.
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:16Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain