Pyatt: Election in Donbas requires security, not time limits
US Ambassador pointed out, that security issues are an obstacle for holding election in Donbas
Local election in temporary occupied territories of Donbas are possible only after all the necessary security measures are implemented, which means that the Russian Federation must implement all the obligations it had committed to as part of Minsk agreements, stated US Ambassador during his visit to Mariupol in eastern Ukraine, reports “Ukrinform”.
“Quoting US representative to the UN Samantha Power, it is necessary to create all necessary conditions for holding an election. This presupposes security in these territories, which means that Russia must implement the obligations it had committed to by signing Minsk agreements”, - the diplomat stated.
He emphasized, that “no one is limiting the election to any specific dates”, “it is a matter of principle”. “The election must take place according to standards, which meet OSCE requirements”.
Pyatt also noted, that the majority of Ukrainians in occupied territories don’t support Russian occupation troops.
“People in occupied territories are also Ukrainian citizens. Overwhelming majority of them didn’t call for occupation troops. They didn’t want to be controlled by such people like Zakharchenko or Plotnitskiy. And clearly, they didn’t want Russian Grad and tanks to be located in their yards”, - the Ambassador stated.
He pointed out, that the USA encourage full implementation of Minsk agreements: “Complete ceasefire, withdrawal of all Russian troops and weapons, restoration of Ukraine’s control over the internationally recognized border, release of all captives, holding local election according to OSCE standards. We mustn’t forget, that Donbas is Ukraine”, - Pyatt added.
29 attacks in Donbas region during previous 24 hours, - ATO HQ 18 October, 09:31
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars