Providing autonomy to Donbas will lead to Ukraine’s federalization, - Klimkin
"It will legitimize Russian protectorate in Donbas", Foreign Minister said
Providing Donbas autonomy will lead to the federalization of Ukraine. Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin said this in an interview with Deutsche Welle.
"If we give Donbas autonomy, as Russia wants, it will lead to the federalization of Ukraine, to its weakening and separation. This is what Russia wants. It will legitimize Russian protectorate in the Donbas region. The Russian strategy is to push this protectorate to Ukraine as a Trojan horse", said Klimkin.
He added that negotiations on holding elections in the Donbas region will be possible only after complete ceasefire on the occupied territories, full withdrawal of weapons and OSCE control of the entire territory and part of the border with Russia.
Klimkin said that Ukraine was in favor of sticking to the Minsk agreements and Normandy format of negotiations.
Earlier Foreign Minister said that the elections in Donbas are not on agenda of Normandy talks.
Source: Deutche Welle
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- RUSSIA16:30Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia
- UA & EU15:42Poroshenko, Hungary PM are to enhance political dialogue between states
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels