Poroshenko: Ukraine guarantees ceasefire if militants stay silent for Easter
The President expects further support from the Western partners
“The approaching Easter will become a test for Russia – a test whether it is a Christianity-oriented civilization. To pass the test, Russia and its marionettes should unconditionally cease fire at least for this period. If that happens, I, for my part, am ready to guarantee the ceasefire from the Ukrainian side, hoping it will become permanent”, Petro Poroshenko posted at Facebook, adding he expects support from the Western partners in this regard.
Most recently, the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) in Ukraine urged the conflicting sides to hold on to the ceasefire in Donbas, since for the last several weeks, the situation has worsened significantly.
According to Head of OSCE SMM in Ukraine Ertugrul Apakan, over the past weeks, the Mission reported large number of ceasefire breaches, as many weapons, including those banned by Minsk agreement, have been moved from their storages closer to the division line.
Apakan added that the Mission is about to increase its presence in eastern Ukraine.
"We have already increased the number of posts, where we conduct the monitoring activities from. They are located on the government-controlled territory. Now we have 30 bases, but there is a need to set additional bases, including on the territory of the anti-government forces," Apakan said.
He stressed that security guarantees for the OSCE monitors should be obtained to set the additional posts.
"Currently, the mission involves 700 monitors from 47 countries. We have set the task to increase the number of monitors, both in terms of total number and geographical coverage," the Chief Monitor of the OSCE SMM to Ukraine said.
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away 24 October, 19:37
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas