Pifer: Russia may use observers’ arrival to Caucasus 2016 drills for Crimea legitimization
Moscow may declare diplomats arrival in Crimea as annexation recognition
Moscow can use the presence of official Western observers at the Russian military drills Caucasus 2016 in the occupied Crimea for the attempt to legitimize the illegal annexation of Ukrainian peninsula.
Former US Ambassador to Ukraine and the expert of influential American analytical center Brookings Institution Stephen Pifer wrote this on Twitter, the Voice of America reports.
So Pifer commented on reports that the Russia Defense Ministry has invited the Western military attaché to observe the large-scale military drillss in the Southern Military District of Russia.
"Russia demonstrates transparency, inviting Western diplomats in the Crimea, but if they accept the invitation, Moscow will claim that in this way they have recognized the annexation of the Crimea by Russia", wrote Pifer.
Recall that Ukraine is deeply concerned with the conducting of the military drills Caucasus 2016 near state border as a large-scale build-up of interspecific forces in the occupied territories and on the border of Ukraine and bringing it to the highest alert shows the growth of a direct military threat to Ukraine.
Source: Voice of America
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
- POLITICS16:26Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas