People say farewell to Pavlo Sheremet in Kyiv
Solemn ceremony for the deceased journalist takes place in the downtown Ukrainian capital
The ceremony kicked off at 11.00 in the Ukrainian house, in the city centre. People lay flowers to the coffin with the reporter’s body. Many of Pavlo Sheremet’s colleagues joined the ceremony, paying last tribute to the reporter who fell victim to the car blast in the morning of July 20 in Kyiv.
The video belongs to Radio Liberty, the outlet's Youtube channel.
Watch the video:
Pavlo Sheremet was Ukrainian and Russian journalist of Belarusian origin. The 44-year-old was widely famous for his criticism of Russian and Belarusian leaders – Putin and Lukashenko, respectively. Sheremet was imprisoned by the government of Belarus in 1997, sparking an international incident between Belarus and Russia. The New York Times has described him as "known for his crusading reports about political abuses in Belarus" and "a thorn in the side of Lukashenko's autocratic government".He was awarded the Committee to Protect Journalists' International Press Freedom Award in 1999 and the OSCE Prize for Journalism and Democracy in 2002.
He was married with two children, a son and a daughter. He also had a son with Canadian photographer Heidi Hollinger.
IMF mission to arrive in Ukraine on October 26 17 October, 19:03
Holocaust Memorial center to be created at Babi Yar, - Poroshenko 29 September, 15:17
Kyiv not to congratulate Putin on his birthday, - Peskov 7 October, 20:15
In Kyiv March of heroes' glory is over 14 October, 18:33
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels