About a thousand people who died in the combat area in Donbas are the non-battle casualties. Ukraine’s Chief Military Prosecutor Anatoliy Matios reported this on January 29.
“As for non-battle losses, including those killed and wounded, we lost more than a thousand people. The causes are the following: blue on blue fire, mishandling weapons, injuries that caused death, car accidents and alleged heart diseases”, he said.
The Chief Military Prosecutor remembered a story when a drunk serviceman threw a grenade into a cast-iron stove. The explosion killed 30 people.
On January 29 in Kyiv, President Petro Poroshenko said that since the beginning of the Donbas conflict, battle casualties of the Ukrainian army made 2.269 people. Previously, in November 2015, the General Staff of the Armed Forces reported that the army’s non-battle casualties amounted 831 people.
Also, freezing injuries, diseases and suicides are among the reasons of deaths of non-battle casualties, ATO press officer Oleksiy Dmytrashkivsky said.