Military expert: Russia tries to make Ukraine pass law on ‘special status’ of Donbas
For that purpose, Kremlin decided to increase fire density in war-torn eastern Ukraine, Oleg Zhdanov supposes
Russia-backed mercenaries step up military actions in eastern Ukraine in order to make Ukrainian MPs adopt the law on the special status of governance of the occupied areas of Donbas. Ukraine’s military expert said this in an interview with 112 Ukraine TV channel.
“Russia has been putting every last shred of its military to fight in eastern Ukraine. They want Kyiv to make certain political decisions, and they’ve been extremely persistent about them for the last two years. Last week, Ukrainian lawmakers showed they were capable of serious political decisions. There is constitutional majority in the Parliament; the President controls the Parliament well, and controls the situation in Ukraine in general”, Zhdanov said.
“The adoption of judicial reform could’ve become an impetus to negotiations on this issue, as well as amnesty and local elections in the occupied territories. So, the General Staff of Russia’s Armed Forces probably decided to step up military actions on the division line in Donbas”, the expert assumed.
Previously, Ukraine’s Parliamentary Speaker Andriy Parubiy said that the provision about local governance in Donbas, foreseen by the draft law on de-centralization of power in Ukraine, can’t be implemented now. The problem is failure of pro-Kremlin militants to comply with main provisions of Minsk agreements. Ukraine’s Interior Minister Arsen Avakov offered to exclude the provision about the ‘special status’ from the draft law.
Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe 25 October, 08:16
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 25 October, 09:43
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case