Interior Ministry: 12,000 OSCE policemen necessary to hold elections in Donbas
Ministerial Counselor Zoryan Shkiryak stresses there is no way elections will be held for another two or three years
‘In order to hold any sort of elections on the occupied territories, we’re going to need presence of 10, maybe 12 thousand policemen of the OSCE mission’, Shkiryak said.
Speaking about opportunities to hold local elections in Donbas, the counselor stressed there will be none – in the next couple of years. ‘No ‘special status for Donbas’ and no respective changes in the Ukrainian constitution will be submitted in the near future’, he said.
Pro-Russian militants of DPR and LPR demand that Ukrainian parliament submit changes to the Constitution allowing them to hold local elections. That would mean recognizing the right of the occupied territories for separate governance under the rule of Kremlin-backed mercenaries.
President Poroshenko previously stressed that no election will be held in Donbas until Russian troops and weaponry are withdrawn from the region, and Ukraine’s border guards regain control over the country’s state border with Russia.
Donbas: 122 mm artillery shells Shyrokyne 10 October, 08:35
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains 20 October, 20:44
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars