Top Crimean Tatar Mejlis member facing ‘extremism’ charges is released on bail
Crimea’s minority Muslim population has faced persecution since largely voting against Russia’s annexation of the peninsula in March 2014
A top Crimean Tatar representative has been released on bail, hours after Russia’s Security Services in the occupied region arrested him for ‘extremism’.
Ilmi Umerov, the Deputy Head of the Mejlis was detained on May 12 on charges of ‘making public calls encroaching upon Russia’s territorial integrity’, the Kharkiv Human Rights Protection Group reports. His release was confirmed by Nariman Dzhelalov, the Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis assembly.
“The Russian Federal Security Service investigator approved bail for Ilmi Umerov. Now we are heading to his house, as the FSB will conduct a search there. After that, he is likely to be required to stay at home.”, Dzhelalov wrote on Facebook
His arrest is the latest string of persecutions against the Crimean Tatars in Ukraine's Black Sea region. Since early 2014, the Kremlin-appointed authorities have conducted raids on Crimean Tatar homes, shut down their TV channel and banned commemorations of Stalin's mass deportations of their group to Central Asia in 1944.
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas