Foreign Ministry values UN’s concern for mutually perpetrated tortures in Donbas
Human right watchers accuse both conflicting sides of torturing POWs
Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry shares views of the UN OHCHR in Ukraine regarding the disturbing messages about possible tortures perpetrated by the SBU, Ukraine’s Security Service.
The Ministry commented on the 14th Report of the UN OHCHR in Ukraine. The report sums up the office’s activity in the country over the period of February 16 – May 15, 2016.
“Ukraine’s position remains unchanged; no violations of human rights can remain unpunished, no matter who and when committed them. In this regard, we also value the Mission’s attention to messages about possible cases of violations and abuses perpetrated by Ukraine’s law enforcement agencies. We carefully examine the Office’s recommendations on the matter”, the commentary says.
The Ministry underlined that the UN OHCHR in Ukraine keeps an eye on the government’s efforts to bring to justice those who abuse human rights.
Previously, Ivan Simonovic, UN Assistant Secretary General for Human Rights, claimed that the SBU and pro-Russian militants resort to systematic tortures in Donbas. The UN office’s report claims there are hundreds of such cases, when both sides abused human rights of the detained persons. The SBU already denied this information.
Gerashchenko: Ukraine demands that Russia releases Sushchenko 3 October, 10:00
Sushchenko case: Ukrainian reporter arrested for two months 3 October, 11:30
Ukrainian consul prevented from visiting detained Kolchenko 1 October, 14:00
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars