Elections in Donbas must be held under Ukrainian laws – Hollande
Hollande reported on results of negotiations within Norman Quartet in Paris on October 3
Elections in militants-controlled areas of Eastern Ukraine must be held in accordance with the Ukrainian laws. After the adoption of corresponding act by the Ukrainian parliament, voting is to be hold in 80 days, announced French President Francois Hollande at a press conference in Paris, Interfax-Ukraine.
He stressed that the elections should comply with the Ukrainian electoral legislation. "It is necessary that the elections must be organized in the framework of the working group to the intent that the results of it were undeniable," Hollande said.
"We appealed to the concerned parties to assist into this process. The elections foreseen on October 18 [in "DPR"] cannot take place, as long as there are certain agreements to be implemented," Hollande stressed. He added that the issue of local voting in Donbas will be discussed in the working groups in Minsk.
The President noted that after the election law is adopted, at least 80 days must pass before the elections to be hold.
In turn, President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko said that the elections in some parts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions will take place after approval of amendments to the Ukrainian electoral legislation.
Earlier, Poroshenko called to expand sanctions against Russia in connection with the decision of the so-called "DPR" and "LPR" to hold its own local elections, which contradicts to the Minsk agreements.
Local elections in Ukraine will take place on October 25.
Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo 26 October, 17:57
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
- POLITICS12:48Stoltenberg: NATO seeks no confrontation with Russia
- POLITICS12:01UN condemns attacks on schools in Haas village, Syria
- SOCIETY11:14Ukraine marks anniversary of 1944 release from the Nazis
- RUSSIA10:33Putin: Russia may resume gas supplies to Ukraine any moment
- POLITICS10:02UN starts discussion on complete ban of nuclear weapons
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case