Biden: At least five EU states are ready to abolish sanctions against Russia
US Vice President spoke about the efforts he is making to maintain sanctions
US Vice President Joseph Biden said he warned Ukraine about the danger of the lifting of sanctions imposed by the EU against the Russian Federation, in the case of deceleration of economic and political reforms in the country the day after the meeting with President Petro Poroshenko, Reuters reports.
"We know that if they give an excuse to the EU, there are at least five countries right now that want to say 'We want out'" of sanctions against Moscow, Biden said, speaking to the Council on Foreign Relations in New York.
Biden noted that Ukraine has received from the US $ 1 billion. Loan guarantees are pledged to intensify the efforts aimed at the reform of the energy and justice sectors.
Biden said he has spent two to three hours a week on the phone with Ukrainian leaders since the crisis began, urging them to persist with reforms, while also pressuring Germany, France and Italy to hold fast on sanctions.
Biden also said that he warned Poroshenko about the background of the current crisis in Europe, the observed self-confidence caused by the influx of migrants and Brexit. Ukraine must do everything possible to prevent the failure of the Minsk agreements and do not face the risk of being accused of it.
Earlier, the press service of the presidential administration said that Poroshenko and Biden discussed the situation in the Donbas region and the implementation of the Minsk agreements. Poroshenko thanked the US for tightening sanctions against Russia. It was agreed to intensify diplomatic efforts to stop the Russian aggression against Ukraine.
Recall that yesterday the President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko held talks with US President Barack Obama. Poroshenkodiscussed with Obama the implementation of the Minsk agreements. Wives of Ukraine's and the US Presidents' Maryna Poroshenko and Michelle Obama met and discussed projects they are now engaged in.
Petro Poroshenko arrived on the 71st UN General Assembly on September 19. He already met with Ukrainian community in New York, and also paid a visit to Bill and Hillary Clinton.
Ukraine's President held a meeting with his Turkish counter part Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who expressed the support for Ukraine in the issue of the resumption of sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The 71st UN General Assembly session started in New York on Monday. Chairman of the General Assembly noted that the session should be to bring the organization to the implementation of 17 sustainable development goals of the United Nations projects to 2030. The annual general debate will begin on September 20 and will last until September 26.
Tusk's visit to Ukraine kicks off today 28 September, 20:39
Tusk: EU Council startled by success of Ukraine’s economy 29 September, 11:45
Poroshenko names main issues to be discussed at EU-Ukraine Summit 10 October, 14:20
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case