Battle of Debaltseve: 2,500 Ukrainian servicemen withdrew from battlefield
Government troops managed to withdraw 15 tanks and 50 IFVs from the battlefield, said former Head of ATO Staff
During the battle of Debaltseve in Donetsk region, 110 Ukrainian servicemen were killed, 270 wounded, 18 gone missing and seven more were captured. Olexandr Syrsky, former Head of ATO Staff, said this at a briefing in Kyiv dedicated to the anniversary of the Battle of Debaltseve.
By various estimates, about 2,500 Ukrainian soldiers and officers managed to leave the battlefield, which by mid-February 2015 was surrounded and heavily shelled by Russian regular army units and armed groups of the so-called DPR, the pro-Kremlin mercenaries. Syrsky added that government forces saved about 200 armored vehicles from the war-torn Debaltseve, including 15 tanks and 50 infantry fighting vehicles.
The battle of Debaltseve took place in January-February 2015 in Donetsk region. A large transport hub and an outpost of strategic importance, the town became the battlefield of one of the bloodiest battles in the war in Donbas. Both sides took heavy casualties.
Currently, Debaltseve is under control of pro-Russian militants.
Most recently, on February 17, 112 Ukraine TV channel aired the documentary about the battle, to mark the anniversary of those tragic events.
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
29 attacks in Donbas region during previous 24 hours, - ATO HQ 18 October, 09:31
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars