Prisoner exchange between militants and Ukraine delayed
Next negotiations are scheduled for August 17
Exchange of prisoners between Ukraine and Russian-backed militants was delayed due to the threats to security of Ukrainians held by militants, stated Security Service Chairman Tandit. "We have realized that the [the militants] are trying to do it fraudulently, without giving our soldiers back, as was previously negotiated. That is why we decided to go back," he stated. In the last minute militants put forward new demands.
The exchange should be held in "13 to 13" format. Among those 13 Ukrainian military prisoners are some officers held in captivity year after the tragic events in Ilovaisk. This exchange procedure has been preparing for last three months, and the parties reached the "finish line" two days ago. Ukrainian side was represented by volunteers, soldiers and Security Service employees.
The next talks are expected to be held August 17.
As reported by RBK, Russian-backed militants were instructed to hold a parade of Ukrainian soldiers, currently prisoned in Donetsk People's Republic. This mocking tactics should take place in Donetsk August 24, on the Independence Day of Ukraine.
According to recent reports, the militants hold in captivity more than 170 Ukrainians, including civilians.
Militants say they are ready for 618 x 47 prisoners exchange 22 September, 19:42
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
- POLITICS09:28Syrian army vows to down Turkish military aircraft
- POLITICS08:47Russia: ‘Humanitarian break’ in Aleppo continues until October 24
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:00Donbas: Vicinities of Mariupol under mortar fire
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels