7,962 people were killed during the conflict in eastern Ukraine - UN
At least 178,000 children have been forced to flee their homes and displaced within Ukraine
The United Nations says that 7,962 people were killed during the conflict in eastern Ukraine. 17,811 people were injured as a result of the hostilities in Donbas.
“This is an understated estimate; the true number could be much higher," as said in the UN statement.
September 7, LEGO Foundation and United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) started an initiative to ensure conflict-affected children in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions with high-quality materials for their development and learning. Children from 48 schools, 62 kindergartens and 10 family support centers in communities located in areas controlled by the Government of Ukraine are embraced with this initiative.
“Children’s right to play is stipulated in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. It is fundamental to quality early learning and cognitive development, as well as to help conflict-affected children cope with stress and trauma,”said Giovanna Barberis, UNICEF Representative in Ukraine. "This partnership with the LEGO Foundation enables UNICEF to provide a chance to play and learn to over 18,000 conflict-affected children”.
As a result of the extended violence, children have been suffering enormous levels of stress, having witnessed violent fighting and shelling. At least 178,000 children have been forced to flee their homes and displaced within Ukraine. Thousands of conflict-affected children in eastern Ukraine do not have access to education. Didactic materials, books, and particularly games, which engage children in learning through play, are limited.
Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day 23 October, 22:03
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas 24 October, 16:37
Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region 24 October, 20:21
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain