67 Ukraine’s border guards deceased during Donbas conflict
Many of them perished during escalation of tensions in summer-autumn 2014, - spokesman of State Border Guard Service
In two years of the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine, 67 workers of Ukraine’s State Border Guard Service have deceased.
‘Most of our casualties took place in summer and autumn 2014, as Russian regular troops stepped up military action in eastern Ukraine. Many border guards were killed while trying to break the encirclement near Dovzhansky checkpoint (Luhansk region, eastern Ukraine, - 112 International). This day, August 9, marks the second anniversary of these events. Back then, ten border guards deceased, 35 were wounded, five more went missing’, Oleg Slobodyan, spokesman of the State Border Guard Service said in an interview with 112 Ukraine TV channel.
The official reminded that two years ago, Ukraine’s border guard units and checkpoints, located in Luhansk and Donetsk regions, were fiercely shelled, day by day. The enemy encircled a group of border guards and airborne troops who approached Dovzhansky checkpoint. The Ukrainian servicemen fought valiantly, but eventually were forced to retreat. Most of the artillery attacks were launched from the Russian territory. In early August, the defenders of Dovzhansky checkpoint broke through the enemy lines and joined the main forces of the Ukrainian troops in Donbas.
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains 20 October, 20:44
Donbas: 122 mm artillery shells Shyrokyne 10 October, 08:35
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas