Ukraine to get $500 mln loan from World Bank
World Bank Country Director praised Ukraine’s steps to stabilize and reform the economy
“The World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors today approved a US $500 mln IBRD operation to finance the Second Programmatic Financial Sector Development Policy Loan in Ukraine. This new financing supports a number of high-priority reform measures in the banking sector in response to the financial crisis in Ukraine,” according to the World Bank press release.
“The Ukrainian authorities have taken some impressive steps to stabilize and reform the economy and we are now seeing tentative signs of stabilization, - said Qimiao Fan, World Bank Country Director for Belarus, Moldova, and Ukraine. - However, because the challenges are so unprecedented, it is critical that the authorities continue to accelerate reforms”.
The key purposes of the loan are strengthening the capacity of the Deposit Guarantee Fund in order to perform deposit payout functions in the case of bank failures, stabilizing the banking sector, supporting legal and institutional reforms (particularly, focusing on limiting related-party lending in the banking system).
The World Bank is a major development partner of Ukraine. With this new budget support operation, the Bank’s current financial support to the country amounts to about US$4 bln.
Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes 25 October, 15:15
Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt 25 October, 13:44
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
- POLITICS16:26Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas