Spent fuel storage in Chornobyl exclusion zone to start working in late 2016
Main construction works will be over by summer
Ukraine’s state inspection for nuclear regulation expects the spent fuel storage in Chornobyl exclusion zone to start working by the end of 2016 (UNIAN). Borys Stoliarchuk, Director of the Inspection’s Nuclear Facilities Department said this in Kyiv on February 9.
“Since construction works are performed very actively, we’re certain that the object will start working in the fourth quarter of the year”, he said.
U.S. company Holtec International is working on the storage, which is necessary to completely shut down all power reactors of Chornobyl power plant.
The project of the spent fuel storage, initiated in 2000, was put on hold due to construction errors in 2003. Initially, the volume of work was estimated at EUR 190 million, but then the price grew to 255 million Euros.
In July 2015, Chief Designer of the project Andriy Savin said that first tests of the storage will start in the middle of 2017. According to him, the main construction works will be complete by June this year. It will take another nine years to remove all fuel from three reactors of the power plant.
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains 20 October, 20:44
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars