In 2015, Ukraine cut food import rate by 41.5 percent
The reasons were low consumer purchasing power due to the national currency devaluation
“In 2015, Ukraine imported food worth of USD 3.8 billion in total; that’s 41.5 percent less than in 2014, when import of agricultural products totaled 6.4 billion dollars”, said Mykola Pugachov, Doctor of Economics, Deputy Director at the Institute of Agrarian Policy (UNIAN).
EU’s largest food suppliers to Ukraine are Germany, Poland, France, Italy and Spain, which provided 29 percent of the overall amount of agricultural supplies to Ukraine in 2015.
Asian countries, in particular, Turkey, China, India and Indonesia somehow strengthened their positions: their share of annual food supplies to Ukraine made 20.3 percent last year, while in 2014 it was 19.1 percent.
Meanwhile, the share of CIS member countries lowered from 12 percent (2014) to 9 (2015), mainly due to mutual trade restrictions between Ukraine and Russia. In 2015, Russia provided 7 percent of Ukraine’s agrarian import. “Last year, Russia lost its leading position of main exporter of agricultural products to Ukraine, giving it up to Germany and Poland”, Pugachov said.
Previously, 112 International reported that Ukraine's export of agricultural products to Russia totals about 2 percent.
Klimkin: Russia tries to tear Europe appart 12 October, 17:33
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars