Funders of Chornobyl nuclear plant’s sarcophagus to visit the NPP on April 26
On that day, Ukraine will mark the 30th anniversary of the Chornobyl nuclear disaster
Members of the EBRD’s Nuclear Security Account will come to Kyiv on April 25, to hold a conference in the Ukrainian capital. The day after that, they will go to see Chornobyl nuclear power plant.
The account is used by the EBRD to fund construction of anti-radiation protection infrastructure around the disaster area. That includes construction of the sarcophagus over the NPP’s 4th reactor.
As is known, the Chornobyl nuclear disaster took place in small hours of April 26, 1986. It was the worst nuclear power plant accident in history in terms of cost and casualties. It is one of only two classified as a level 7 event (the maximum classification) on the International Nuclear Event Scale, the other being the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011. The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 people. During the accident itself, 31 people died, and long-term effects such as various types of cancer are still being investigated.
Since 2006, Ukrainians have been marking the Day of liquidator of the Chornobyl disaster on December 14.
President Petro Poroshenko previously announced that 2016 will be the year of commemoration of the victims and liquidators of Chornobyl disaster.
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars