EBRD to allocate EUR 40 mln for construction of nuclear waste repository at Chornobyl NPP
The Ukrainian side is to sign papers that are necessary to continue cooperation with EBRD in this area
Ukraine will be able to continue construction of nuclear waste repository at Chornobyl nuclear power plant (NPP), thanks to the forthcoming 40 million Euro-worth grant from the EBRD. The Ukrainian government reported this at its website on Monday.
Last week, Ostap Semerak, the Minister of Environment and Natural Resources of Ukraine, said that power units of Chornobyl nuclear power plant have been totally cleared of the nuclear fuel. Currently, they pose much less danger for the environment. ‘The works were carried out in accordance with the up-to-date standards of environmental safety’, the Minister noted.
According to Semerak, on April 21, experts finished extracting nuclear fuel from the second power unit of the NPP. 'For now, the fuel is being kept is special storages', he said. The official stated Ukraine is ready to continue liquidating aftermaths of the Chornobyl catastrophe, adding that first of all, workers will have to remove destroyed nuclear fuel and fuel containing materials.
Earlier, Germany reported it intends to send Ukraine additional financial aid worth of EUR 19 mln; the costs will go to overcome the aftermaths of the Chornobyl nuclear disaster.
The Chornobyl NPP’s Director Ihor Hramotkin said the new shelter over the destroyed fourth unit of the power plant will be completed by the end of the year.
President Petro Poroshenko announced that 2016 will be the year of honoring liquidators and victims of the Chornobyl nuclear disaster.
Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt 25 October, 13:44
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes 25 October, 15:15
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas