Who are Afanasyev and Soloshenko?
Today, Russian prisoners Afanasiev and Soloshenko may arrive in Kyiv
Convicted in Russia Ukrainians Yuriy Soloshenko and Gennadiy Afanasyev, who were detained for almost 2 years, may return to their homeland. Details of exchange are not disclosed, but from different sources there is an information that today they will arrive in Kyiv. According to unofficial data, in the afternoon Soloshenko and Afanasyev will be delivered to the capital by Ukrainian Defense Ministry aircraft.
The Security Service of Ukraine previously confirmed the possible exchange Soloshenko and Afanasyev by the figurants of the "case of May 2" in Odessa, their names have not yet reported.
In view of a possible exchange we gathered information about the 74-year-old Soloshenko and 25-year-old Afanasyev.
Soloshenko was born on May 6, 1942 in Poltava region. He graduated from the Kharkiv National University and started his career as an engineer at a defense plant. Later he became CEO of the Poltava 'Znamia' factory.
It was the largest factory in Poltava. The plant produced components for anti-aircraft missile systems and radar air defense complexes "Osa", "Buk", "Thor", "Tunguska".
Soloshenko retired in 2010, and two years later the plant was declared a bankrupt. His son Vladyslav in an interview, said that after the plant stopped its activities in the warehouses were a lot of equipment to sell to the Russian Federation.
Soloshenko in August 2014 went to Moscow, where he was detained. His son said that this was a business trip at the invitation of former colleagues. However, on arrival at the meeting place, 74-year-old Soloshenko was detained by Russian Security Service employees. He was accused of espionage. According to the Federal Security Service, he was detained "when trying to illegaly purchase the secret components for anti-aircraft missile systems S-300." For a long time it was not allowed for Ukrainian consul to visit Soloshenko.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
- POLITICS11:09NATO is preparing for Russian military aggression
- UKRAINE TOP 23:21Savchenko’s factor at Russian court hearing on Klyh-Karpyuk case
- SOCIETY20:32Crimea: zone of lawlessness
- POLITICS17:13More proposals than complaints: Ukrainians' appeals to Parliament - infographics
- UA & EU16:22Netherlands rejects EU-Ukraine deal: What will happen to the Ukraine’s AA?
- UA & EU14:20EU increases trade protection: Сonsequences for Ukraine
- POLITICS13:015 versions of the mysterious deaths in unrecognized LPR republic
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:45Escalation at Mariupol direction: Russian blackmail and unwillingness to fulfill agreement
- SOCIETY23:15The Great Ukrainian: Biography of Bogdan Hawrylyshyn
- POLITICS22:00Support without protection: What forms the US policy on Ukraine
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case