Ukrainian opera singer killed in Donbas: biography of Vasyl Slipak
Slipak made a serious music career in Europe, but came back to defend his homeland
"Let us bow our heads, the Great Ukrainian has sadly passed away, defending the homeland and each of us..." journalist Yury Butusov wrote on his Facebook. Vasyl Slipak was a great actor and a great singer. And a great patriot too.
Vasyl Yaroslavovych Slipak was born in Lviv region. The pupil of the Lviv children's choir group "Dudaryk" has graduated from the Lviv Conservatory (Music Academy named after M. Lysenko) in 1997. In 1994, Vasyl won the competition in the French city of Clermont. The next two years he has been singing in France. In 1996, Vasyl was offered to stay there forever. After completing the studies in Lviv, he was invited to the Paris Opera. He managed to make a serious solo career in Europe, getting to the finals of numerous competitions in Budapest, Los Angeles, New York, and Paris.
Here is his aria "Toreador," for which Slipak received the "Best Male Performance" at the international festival of opera singers in the Harmel:
And here are two more of his great arias:
Vasyl Slipak has lived in France for 19 years. He performed at the Paris Grand Opera.
With the beginning of the revolution, he gave up his brilliant European career and came back to Ukraine. He took part in Maidan movement. Then he became a volunteer.
"It all started with volunteering. Pravyi Sektor (Ukraine’s far-right organization, party, and battalion) were our first “godchildren,” as we use to call them. Our volunteer organization Fraternité Ukrainienne ("Ukrainian brotherhood") has been helping them. The 7th Battalion of Pravyi Sektor was the first one, whom we had helped. I just knew these people. Thus, volunteering naturally grew into an active participation," he confessed in one of his interviews.
Subsequently Slipak has joined the 7-th battalion of Pravyi Sektor. He choose a call sign "Myth" (short for Mephistopheles from"Faust"). Vasyl has often performed his favorite aria from Mephistopheles:
While being in the ATO zone, he sang Ukrainian songs for his comrades.
After completing the military operations, Vasyl planned to continue his musical work in France. But the heart of the great patriot stopped beating. It took place near Donetsk. He was only 42 years.
Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas 24 October, 16:37
OSCE cannot confirm ‘Motorola’s death 17 October, 17:49
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
- POLITICS17:13More proposals than complaints: Ukrainians' appeals to Parliament - infographics
- UA & EU16:22Netherlands rejects EU-Ukraine deal: What will happen to the Ukraine’s AA?
- UA & EU14:20EU increases trade protection: Сonsequences for Ukraine
- POLITICS13:015 versions of the mysterious deaths in unrecognized LPR republic
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:45Escalation at Mariupol direction: Russian blackmail and unwillingness to fulfill agreement
- SOCIETY23:15The Great Ukrainian: Biography of Bogdan Hawrylyshyn
- POLITICS22:00Support without protection: What forms the US policy on Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:28Ukrainian military administrations: Donbas experience now in Kherson region
- Economics12:09Nine beacons from IMF: Will Ukraine receive the next tranche?
- UA & EU23:47Years of expectations: Ukraine could get visa-free regime on November 24, 2016
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case