Ukrainian beverages: how to be drunk, conscious and happy
Ukraine has a very long history. And it`s traditions spread for centuries. Part of it is national beverages
Travelling all over Europe, all I could think of is… kefir. It`s a drink made of milk. Something like a yoghurt, but not exactly. I couldn’t find it in Italy, in Hungary and definitely not in San Marino. Although, I`ve tried a lot of other beverages but it wasn’t the same.
I few days later I`ve talked to another Ukrainian and was very surprised finding out she is looking for the same drink in every supermarket for quite a time. What was it? Call of ancestors? Something we`ve used to so much we can`t just let go of it.
It made me think that no matter where we are we`ll still be looking for something we got used as a child.
The point is every country has its traditions. And probably at least once in your life you`ve heard about Ukrainian vodka. But let`s not talk about it now. Let`s talk about something else instead.
Mulled wine? But it`s not!
It is made basically of honey. Sometimes - with different spices. Usually it depends on the region. This drink has a very long history. It is served for Christmas or special occasions. So as mulled wine, it can be hot, but not all the time. In winter it goes as a hot beverage, in summer – it will freshen up. But caution: this beverage is made with alcohol so it shouldn`t be served every day.
Originally kvas is made of rye bread. It`s non-alcoholic and has very unusual taste. it`s not sugary and has brown color.
Uzvar is typically winter beverage. It`s made of drying fruits. You will see this beverage in restaurants with Ukrainian cuisine.
- SOCIETY20:10Ukraine’s medical system: Nocebo effect
- POLITICS13:09Crimean Tatar autonomy in terms of the law
- UKRAINE TOP 23:17Normandy talks: Reaction of the social media
- POLITICS22:15New sanctions against Russia. Persons, businesses and their penalties
- POLITICS19:24World fact-check: How to check the statements of Trump and Clinton
- POLITICS21:53Six months of premiership: Best quotes of Volodymyr Groysman
- UKRAINE TOP 13:42Crimea has nothing to do with Ukraine: myth or reality?
- UA & EU21:02Closed sky: why Ukraine has not joined European Common Aviation Area?
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:36Militant "Motorola" killed in Donetsk: What is leader of "Sparta" gang known for?
- POLITICS10:08October 14: Ukraine’s far-right Intercession
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars