Riot near Verkhovna Rada: how it really was
Hysteria in the parliament and around led to numerous murders
August 31, Verkhovna Rada gathered for an extraordinary meeting to consider the first reading of the adoption of amendments to the Constitution regarding decentralization. These amendments became a cornerstone for Ukrainian MPs; Poroshenko's Bloc, Narodnyi Front, and Opposition Bloc supported changes, while parliamentarians from Radical party of Lyashko (PRL), Svoboda, Ukrop, Samopomich, and Batkivshchyna had another position.
In the morning, the session hall was closed for deputies and journalists. One of the back room's version was that such measures had been taken to prevent opponents from blocking the presidium and the rostrum. Hence the MPs of RPL managed to block the tribune.
Verkhovna Rada had been encircled by those who did not support so-called "concessions to Donbas militants". Activists of Svoboda, PRL, Ukrop, and Pravyi Sektor flocked to the parliament buildings. Сrowd of police forces and the National Guard came to serve peace.
Speaker of the parliament Volodymyr Hroysman announced opening the session at 12 am. His speech was chorded with Lyashko's radicals shouting "Shame"; the tribune was already blocked. The speaker put the bill to vote, and it was adopted by 265 MPs. The opponets kept on chiming "Shame".
Meanwhile, the activists near the Rada started to rock the metal fence around the building. Law enforcers were targeted with bottles with water and other things. They used rubber batons in turn. Severe clashes began.
An explosion occured in the epicenter of the crowd. Anton Herashchenko, MP from Narodnyi Front, wrote in his Facebook that the guardsmen were attacked with a grenade. "Several National Guard soldiers were seriously wounded. Their lives are in danger", he said.
Later it was reported about 131 human casualties. 122 people were hospitalized, three guadrsmen died. Among the victims were deputy Minister of Internal Affairs (MIA) Vasyl Pascal and two French journalists. MIA started the investigation on this case. About 30 people were arrested. Suspected "grenade thrower" was also detained.
In Kyiv March of heroes' glory is over 14 October, 18:33
IMF mission to arrive in Ukraine on October 26 17 October, 19:03
In Moscow and Warsaw pass protest actions "Stop Putin" 14 October, 21:03
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
- UA & EU10:26From Germany to Malta: How EU countries are supporting Ukraine’s transformation
- SOCIETY20:10Ukraine’s medical system: Nocebo effect
- POLITICS13:09Crimean Tatar autonomy in terms of the law
- UKRAINE TOP 23:17Normandy talks: Reaction of the social media
- POLITICS22:15New sanctions against Russia. Persons, businesses and their penalties
- POLITICS19:24World fact-check: How to check the statements of Trump and Clinton
- POLITICS21:53Six months of premiership: Best quotes of Volodymyr Groysman
- UKRAINE TOP 13:42Crimea has nothing to do with Ukraine: myth or reality?
- UA & EU21:02Closed sky: why Ukraine has not joined European Common Aviation Area?
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:36Militant "Motorola" killed in Donetsk: What is leader of "Sparta" gang known for?
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars