Kyiv tops list of most affordable European cities for tourists
Daily Backpacker Index for Ukraine's capital is US$22.84/day
For the second time in a row, Kyiv is at the top of the list of the most affordable cities to travel in Europe. These are the results of the annual study by Europe Backpacker Index 2015, which ranked 56 of the continent’s most popular cities.
According to the results of the rating, one day of accommodations for tourists in Kyiv would cost only US$22.84. As this amount is normal hostel for 65 UAH / night; 192 UAH for food; 96 UAH for alcohol; 4 UAH for transport and 10 UAH for sightseeing (including visiting a museum). On the interactive map, which covers Europe and Southeast Asia, there are even more affordable cities for tourists. This includes Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, Pokhara in Nepal and Goa, India.
The top 10 cheapest European cities for tourism includes Bucharest ($ 26.38 / day), Sofia ($ 27.27 / day), Krakow ($ 27.79 / day), Belgrade ($ 29.86 / day), Warsaw ($ 31.05 / day), Sarajevo ( $ 31.21 / day), Budapest ($ 31.23 / day), Cesky Krumlov ($ 34.01 / day) and St. Petersburg (S $ 34.27 / day). The most expensive city is Zurich with a large margin ($ 124.16 / day), the Norwegian Bergen ($ 106.10 / day), and London ($ 105.51).
Costs for each city
- One night at the least expensive hostel with a good location and good reviews
- Two public transportation rides per day
- One paid/famous attraction per day (Every city is loaded with free things to do for budget-conscious travelers, but here we take the average cost of a major attraction in each city for each day.
- Three “budget” meals per day (We took our minimum meal price and added 20% to make it more realistic for a longer trip).
Three cheap, local beers (or wine) each day as an “entertainment fund.” Non-drinkers might have dessert and coffee or attend a local music performance instead.
Europe Backpacker Index 2015 (from cheaper to more expensive)
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
- UA & EU23:47Years of expectations: Ukraine could get visa-free regime on November 24, 2016
- Economics15:11Reconfiguring Ukrainian budget: salaries of the MPs increased
- UA & EU13:16From Germany to Malta: How EU countries are supporting Ukraine’s transformation
- SOCIETY20:10Ukraine’s medical system: Nocebo effect
- POLITICS13:09Crimean Tatar autonomy in terms of the law
- UKRAINE TOP 23:17Normandy talks: Reaction of the social media
- POLITICS22:15New sanctions against Russia. Persons, businesses and their penalties
- POLITICS19:24World fact-check: How to check the statements of Trump and Clinton
- POLITICS21:53Six months of premiership: Best quotes of Volodymyr Groysman
- UKRAINE TOP 13:42Crimea has nothing to do with Ukraine: myth or reality?
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain