From Orlando to Nice: 11 bloodiest terrorist acts of 2016
Bastille Day celebration turns into bloodbath
11. July 14. A truck ran over the crowd in Nice, France. 84 died, 150 more were wounded; another 18 are at hosptials in critical condition. There are children among the deceased. The truck's driver, presumably French Tunisian, opened fire from a handgun. The police shot him dead. The incident took place at Promenade des Anglais as the French celebrated Bastille Day. The authorities reported they had found more guns and explosives in the truck.
10. February 17, the center of Ankara, at the intersection of Meraz and Dikmen Inonu Boulevard, an explosion occurred at the time of the passage of the column of vehicles transporting military personnel. 28 people were killed and more than 69 were injured. Kurdish militants of the group "Kurdistan Freedom Falcons," related to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, claimed responsibility for the attack. According to the militants, the attack was a response to the policy towards the Kurds conducted by the Turkish President Erdogan.
9. Four days later, (February 21) bomb blasted in the Syrian cities of Homs and Damascus having left 177 people dead. Explosions occurred in areas densely populated by Shiites. ISIS claimed its responsibility for the attacks.
8. March 6 in Iraq, a suicide bomber blew up a fuel truck packed with explosives at a crowded checkpoint near the town of al-Hilla, south of Baghdad. At that moment, dozens of cars were waiting at the checkpoint to enter the city. 47 people died and about fifty were injured. "Islamic State" has claimed responsibility for the blast.
7. Another terrorist attack in Turkey took place in Ankara on March 13. 37 people died and more than 70 were injured as a result of an explosion near the bus stop at the time of large crowds. Two days after the attack, the Turkish Ministry of Internal Affairs announced the name of suicide bomber, who blew a car near the bus stop. It was Ceher Chagla Demir, born in 1992. Turkish Prime Minister said that there is almost accurate data to prove the involvement of the Kurdistan Workers Party in a terrorist attack.
6. March 22, the attack in Brussels has shocked the whole world. Twin blasts hit Zaventem airport and the "Maelbeek" metro station. 32 people were killed, and more than 300 were injured.
It was established that two brothers Najim Laachraoui and Brahim al Bakroui set the bomb. They were seen on video from surveillance cameras at the airport. Mohammed Abrin has accompanied the suicide bombers at the airport. In his bag Abrin has been carrying the explosives, but he has not brought it into action.
5. March 26, a suicide bomber blew up in the Iraqi village of Al-Asriya during a trophy ceremony after a football tournament. More than 40 people were killed and 105 were injured. Among the victims was the head of the village administration and the local commander of the Shiite militia. "Islamic State" has claimed responsibility for the attack.
4. A day later, on March 27 in the Pakistani city of Lahore, a suicide bomber activated an explosive belt near the Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park in the city center, a few meters from a children's playground. Many Christian families with children were in the park at the time; the Christians celebrated Easter who celebrated Easter. As a result of a terrorist attack at least 75 people died, more than 300 were injured. Most of them were women and children.
Jamaat-ul-Ahrar, a group linked to the Pakistani Taliban, took responsibility for the attack.
3. On May 23, 2016, two suicide bombings, conducted by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, killed 45 potential army recruits in Yemeni city of Aden. The first explosion occurred at the house the commander of government forces. He survived, but 25 recruits and those who wished to join the army died. The second explosion occurred at the recruitment center, killing at least 20 people.
2. June 5, an unknown group committed an armed attack on a military unit and two gun shops in the Kazakhstan's city of Aktobe. As a result, 7 people were killed, another 37 people were injured. During the anti-terrorist operation, which has lasted for a week, 18 terrorists were eliminated and another 9 were detained.
1. June 12, a mass murder occurred in Orlando gay club in Florida. Armed with a pistol and a rifle the man killed 49 people, and then the police have shot him dead. Another 53 visitors of the club were hospitalized with injuries of varying severity.
The killer was identified as a resident of New York, 29-year-old Omar Matin of Afghan origin. Before the attack, he called 911 and allegedly said that he was acting on behalf of the extremist group "Islamic State." However, according to recent data, he also expressed his support for Tamerlan Anzorovich Tsarnaev and his brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who planted bombs at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. Tsarnaev brothers worked for "al-Qaeda."
EU Council not to impose sanctions against Russia because of Syria 17 October, 20:36
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Shoigu: Russia and Syria suspended air attacks on Aleppo 18 October, 13:24
- SOCIETY20:10Ukraine’s medical system: Nocebo effect
- POLITICS13:09Crimean Tatar autonomy in terms of the law
- UKRAINE TOP 23:17Normandy talks: Reaction of the social media
- POLITICS22:15New sanctions against Russia. Persons, businesses and their penalties
- POLITICS19:24World fact-check: How to check the statements of Trump and Clinton
- POLITICS21:53Six months of premiership: Best quotes of Volodymyr Groysman
- UKRAINE TOP 13:42Crimea has nothing to do with Ukraine: myth or reality?
- UA & EU21:02Closed sky: why Ukraine has not joined European Common Aviation Area?
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:36Militant "Motorola" killed in Donetsk: What is leader of "Sparta" gang known for?
- POLITICS10:08October 14: Ukraine’s far-right Intercession
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars