A year ago, June 17, occurred something that brought a shock to the whole world. Malaysian passenger airliner MH-17 was travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down by Russia-backed forces and crashed near Torez in Donetsk resion. 80 children are reported to be among the 298 people killed.
In that very evening, Poroshenko made a proposal to establish a commission to investigate the incident under auspices of ICAO and international experts. Ukrainian government commission was established to investigate the catastrophe. Malaysia announced setting up its own commission on investigation.
July 19, 2014 OSCE observers arrived to the crash site, and the next day the refrigerator cars came to collect dead bodies.
MN17 July 21 UN Security Council gathered to create an international commission of inquiry into the tragedy. The Netherlands took the responsibility to investigate
240 international experts came to investigate the crash site in Ukraine. The delegation included representatives from the Netherlands, Malaysia, Australia, Germany, Indonesia, UK, USA, Switzerland, France, Italy, the United Arab Emirates, as well as EU, ICAO and Interpol.
The military fighting continued near the place of the accident, and it limited the access of experts to the crash site. Only July 31, 2014 the first group of experts from Australia and the Netherlands was able to get to the place; they started working on the repatriation of dead bodies. In November, the shell fragments of the liner had been transported to the Netherlands.
A year later, in July 2015 Dutch Safety Board released the confidential final draft report to representatives of Malaysia, Ukraine, the United States, Russia, Britain, Australia and the Netherlands. The final report is expected to be competed and published in the first half of October 2015.
The Netherlands together with Belgium, Australia, Malaysia, and Ukraine made a joint proposal to UN about an independent tribunal to try those responsible for crimes.
“Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine consider an independent international criminal tribunal established by the Council, reflecting the highest international standards, would be the best means of ensuring justice for the victims and their loved ones. It would also be an appropriate response to the fact that the incident and the related implications for the safety of civil aviation affect the interests of the international community as a whole. The five countries are working to secure the support of Security Council Members for the tribunal,” stated Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
July 15, meeting of the UN Security Council, during which discussed the draft resolution on the creation of an international tribunal to prosecute those responsible for the catastrophe Boeing "Malaysian Airlines." As reported permanent representative of Ukraine to UN Yuriy Sergeyev in his Twitter, following the meeting of the UN Security, approved that the draft of an international tribunal into the Malaysia Airlines MH17 2014 flight crash was concluded.
While the international commission had been investigating the clause of the crash, a bunch of controversial version triggered.
In September, the portal of investigative journalism Bellingcat was the first journalist examination fact-finding the causes of the tragedy, published by Iggy Ostanin. The journalist said that the Buk missile system, which probably could bring down Boeing, was seen in the Russian Belgorod region, which borders with Luhansk, Kharkiv, and Sumy regions of Ukraine. After examining the social networks, he found a crew and part machine. Ostanin managed to identify the missile system and, based on the license plate, stated that it belongs to Moscow Military District.
German investigation report, proving Russian connection to the crash, was released in October. The basic version was that "Buk" missile and released from the plant.
Russian magazine "Medusa" set its own investigation and said about contrail trace of the missiles. The journalist referred to published by Reuters report from Chervonyi Zhovten village, new evidence on downing of Malaysian plane over Ukraine, where witnesses near the town of Snizhne described the launch of a missile on July 17th that downed flight MH17. It is the same trail that Russian side still denies. Also, the journalist said that he talked to the local man from Donetsk region, who claims that he made the shot of the rocket launch. After examination data on weather and terrain, the journalist concluded that the photos are real. In addition, together with other with Bellingcat journalists he investigated the photos, and they were able to indicate the most probable location of launch rockets, based on satellite images.
Another investigation of the same group of Bellingcat journalists appeared in mid-May, witnessing that the Russian automobile Battalion of 69th Brigade and the 147th car battalion, based in Moscow, participated in transporting the Russian Buk. Also journalists calculated the trace of the rocket.
The Security Council of Netherlands plans to publish the final report in the first half of October 2015.